As a Railway Alliance supply partner, we currently have a requirement for a Quantity Surveyor (client side Commercial Manager) to oversee a portfolio of railway system upgrades and Plain Line track renewal projects.
The role will be starting in February 2024, and will be based 3 days a week (Wed - Thurs) out of the Preston Depot and 2 days from home.
As the ideal candidate you will have previous experience as a Quantity Surveyor for either a Consultancy, Main Contractor or NWR client side, and have a good understanding of major railway works.
Quantity Surveyor roles and responsibilities:
You will be responsible for providing professional commercial expertise and guidance to enable the programme to achieve compliance with relevant business targets, processes and procedures. To assist in the resolution of commercial issues and act as the champion within the function when these issues require escalation.
- Act as the key commercial interface with programme, alliance partners and external stakeholder providing appropriate professional support, guidance and leadership.
- Assess commercial risk and implement suitable control measures where required.
- Take a leading role and advise on the management and resolution of variations, commercial disputes and claims arising from the programme / Route.
- Implement appropriate controls to monitor compliance with company commercial policies and procedures.
- Review supplier performance against agreed Key Performance Indicators and take appropriate corrective action where required.
- Commercially manage relationships with contractors and suppliers to maximise benefit for Network Rail.
- Lead the commercial administration for any third-party contractual arrangements that are undertaken by the programme / Alliance.
Quantity Surveyor requirements:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Membership of an appropriate professional organisation.
- Knowledge of the construction industry and related supply chains, including commercial and contract administration processes.
- Experience of working on Network Rail infrastructure.
- Knowledge of railway industry contracts and NEC contracts.
- Knowledge of construction contracts.
- Able to effectively communicate at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Effective and proven negotiation skills with ability to influence decision making.
- Proven ability to manage and drive successful business change programmes.
- Computer literate including ability to utilise in-house and external software.
Quantity Surveyor Benefits:
- Initial 1 year contract, with potential for a further 4+ years' worth of contract extensions
- You will be based 3 days a week (Wed - Thurs) out of the Preston Depot and 2 days from home.
- The role will be starting in February 2024, to ensure a smooth handover.